Boca Raton Historical Society & Museum
Boca Raton, Florida, is a city steeped in history. The Boca Raton Historical Society Museum is your guide to learning about this history!
Easily spotted by its distinctive gold dome, the Boca Raton Historical Society Museum is a non-profit organization dedicated to collecting and preserving the history of Boca Raton. It seeks to gather and preserve artifacts for research purposes and protect buildings and landmarks with historical significance.
The Historical Society and Museum was founded in 1972 by the Junior Service League in Boca Raton. It is located in the Boca Raton Old City Hall, which stands out for its signature gold dome.
At the museum, you can see a variety of interactive and immersive exhibits, as well as lots of artifacts. The museum preserves photographs, newspapers, diaries, reference books, and research papers for educational and research purposes.
Here are a few of the artifacts the museum holds:
- Over 1,600 photographs of Boca’s development from the 1900s to today, including some fascinating aerial images.
- Approximately 200 manuscripts including pioneer farming documents and documents of development.
- Some 500 maps of Boca Raton.
- Copies of old newspapers and magazines.
- Roughly 2,000 items of artifacts including WW II memorabilia, old furniture, the first IBM personal computer in Boca, and more!
- Copies of oral history works.
- Reference books.
The historical society even operates some online exhibits, such as 1909 Boca Raton, Mizner’s Dream, and Pearl City.
And what are some other things the museum and society organize?
- Tours - The society offers several fun tours, including a seasonal Halloween-themed walking tour of the Boca Raton Cemetery and Mausoleum. Virtual tours are also available.
- Educational Programs - Students and adults can participate in various educational tours and activities including tours of the historical Boca Express Train Station.
- Boca Bacchanal - The Boca historical society hosts an annual spring food and wine festival as a fundraiser, called the Boca Bacchanal. The event involves grand tastings and various professional chefs. All proceeds go to the Boca Historical Society.
- Walk of Recognition - Every November the society directs a celebration recognizing individuals and organizations that have impacted the Boca community.
The Boca Raton Historical Society Museum is the perfect place to learn more about Boca’s fascinating history!
The society states its mission like this:
"The mission and purpose of the Boca Raton Historical Society is to collect, preserve, and present information and artifacts relevant to the past and evolving history of Boca Raton and to maintain a visible role in education and advocacy of historic preservation in our community.”
The museum is located in close proximity to other top Boca attractions such as Mizner Park. You can stop in for a quick tour before heading down to eat at one of Mizner’s top restaurants or taking a boat tour to see the city.
If you would like to visit and learn more about Boca Raton's history, head down to Historic Town Hall, 71 N Federal Hwy, Boca Raton, FL 33432.
We hope you enjoy your visit to Boca Raton!
If you live near Boca Raton and are looking for IT Services, make sure to contact BoomTech IT. We offer IT services in Boca Raton so you can increase your productivity, secure your business, and have peace of mind.